Saturday, July 6, 2013

Roller Derby -- First Bout

In February, I started skating with the Salina Sirens Roller Derby team.  After months of learning how to fall correctly, hit correctly, skate in a pack, and basically stay on my feet I finally passed my minimum skills test and was cleared to skate in competitions.  I also had to choose a skater name -- which proved to be very difficult -- and finally settled on: DR. BLOCKAPUSS #w00f.  The first bout that I was active for was our July 6th "Yellow Brick Roll" mashup.  A mashup is a friendly competition where we invite players from other nearby teams and divide the numbers up evenly -- so it's not a true "team" match, but more of a fun/friendly exhibition match.  So not only do I have to play against some of my own team members, but I have to meet new girls and play along side them for the first time!  Needless to say, I was nervous.  Ridiculous, stomach-churning, nervous.  But, the bout turned out awesome!!  I played for the "Emerald" team (against the "Rubies") and after a tough battle, the Emeralds pulled off an amazing come-from-behind victory in the last minutes of the bout!  Dr. Blockapuss had a huge (loud!) cheering section at the bout, including Oma, Emily, Josh, Pam, Steve, Shawn, Jarod & Briana, Damon, the Daily family, and (of course) Chris, Ledger and Locke.  I am so appreciative of everyone's support -- it made me feel so great.









No comments:

Post a Comment