Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Texas Vacation - Port Aransas Day 1

On our first full day in Port A, Locke woke up (really) early enough that we were able to join Oma and Doodah for some early morning beach combing.  The spring breakers had all abandoned camp and they had found lots of treasurers over the last week -- including two pairs of Sperry boat shoes, sand toys, lots of shirts, flip flops, and towels.  On this last day, our big find was a pretty nice cooler.  We also found a couple of nice beach towels too.  The spring breakers sure left things a mess -- lots of trash and drunk college kids still laying around. There were a lot of people on the beach cleaning up the mess and also a lot of people collecting cans for recycling.

When we got back to the condo, Ledger was ready to hit the pool!  While Locke and I laid down for a nap, Ledger, Oma, Doodah, and Daddy hit the pool.  Ledger seemed a little too nervous to try the new kiddie splash pool, but he made a lot of friends in the shallow-depth pool!

After a light sandwich lunch, Ledger was ready to hit the beach.  He took a stack of sand toys and said he was ready to DIG!  I didn't bother getting all decked out in a swimsuit because I just planned on watching him build a sand castle, but when we actually arrived at the beach, he wanted to get right into the water.  He and I chased the waves in and out of the ocean.  We had a great time!

After a while, we were joined on the beach by my cousins Amber and Valerie and their families.  Ledger was especially excited about playing with the "big kids" and Alanah, Kennedy, Logan, Nate, and Aubrey were all SO good with him.  Alanah and Kennedy introduced us to bean clams -- these little mollusks that wash up in the tide.  We had seen them previously, but thought they were just shells.  As it turns out, if you take them out of the water and place them on wet sand, they will bury themselves down into the sand -- pretty cool!  Oma also brought down bread to feed the seagulls and it was really cool to watch the birds hover around the "feeders" and catch the parcels.  Locke continued to play in the sand and Ledger just wanted to be in the water as much as possible.  I love that he loved the ocean.

You guessed it... we all hit the sack pretty early.  We were worn out from a few days of travel and one big day of play!

No comments:

Post a Comment